Argentina Trip 2008

Ryan, Mike, Dan, Matt, Vicki, Chris, Autumn...

We're Here! We're Here!

Published by daniel keel the magnificent travelling gnome! at 6:28 PM
After our long flight, we got to our little hotel: the Cocker. (http://www.thecocker.com) My room was open, but the others' were still being cleaned, so we freshened up using my wetroom. It's a small tiled room with a toilet, a shower head and a drain. I've learned to remove the toilet paper before showering.
Our day's plan was to head to the big Omnibus station to buy our tickets to Mendoza for this weekend. On the way, we explored our barrio (neighborhood): San Telmo. Lots of cobblestones and antiques and. . .Witnesses! They apparently are doing an obra mundial (worldwide work). Lots of hugs and kisses. And one older sister, perhaps confused, placed two brochures, a magazine and a tract with us. In Spanish.
So then we stopped at the Casa Rosada, which is the White House of Argentina. It's where Evita sang her songs to the crowds before her husband had half of them shot. It had a construction area in front of it, which lessened its effect. We also walked down Ave. Florida, which is a pedestrian shopping street like any other in any other city. We were most impressed by Parque San Martin, a long park leading to the station. Pretty trees and lawns. And a dog park. The dogs had a rumble!

After buying our tickets, we had a picnic in the park with some fine juice boxes of wine.

Now we are back at the hotel, napping and getting ready to change for dinner. They eat late here--we're aiming for 10 00 pm.

Talk to you all tomorrow when we scoop up the others. We going to the Branch to pick up Mike, and then Matt and Vicki should be waiting for us at the Cocker.
Here's some video clips:

10 comments:

Planet DeMaw said... @ 7:40 PM

Wow. I get to be first!! I was talking with Toni Nanstad while your latest entry rolled in. Cool photos. Looks like a nice place. Interesting architecture. Not a Motel 6. I gave Toni the link. Enjoy your dinner. Report back with the menu fare. Bye, Dave

Jacks said... @ 9:36 PM

I must say I am still a bit disappointed no one stuffed me into their suitcase so I too could experience the beautiful architecture live; however, I believe in time I may be able to forgive... Seriously though, looks like you guys are already enjoying yourselves and the nice warm weather. You have to go back to Casa Rosada when Vicki arrives so that she can sing the song from Evita as promised and you can all get it on video. Though the swings apperared to be amusing, I must say the stairs in Dan's picture look more fun.
Well anyway, you guys continue to enjoy yourselves and keep us posted, no pun intended.

Laurie and Steve said... @ 8:02 AM

Your little hotel looks wonderful!! Thanks for the link. :) I like the room with the "sumtuous conversation pit piled with furs and cushions"! You did a great job picking it out, Dan! Just like last time...you are missing your professional trip organizer calling!

So nice that you ran into the friends too! Cute about the older sister. :)

Lots of babies posting on this blog.

Anonymous said... @ 12:35 PM

Well just wanted to say hi to everyone =) Hope your having ton's of fun.
As a side note I forgot to tell Lenore to grab Mike's sneakers with the rest of his clothes Dan was suppose to bring down for him. Sorry Mike - I was just getting home from NY. Hope you have fun =)

Bekah

Matt said... @ 1:34 PM

We're here! Just got into our room after climbing all those circular staircases...kind of tiring with our bags. We're freshening up and if the rest of the group isn't back yet we might go venture out for a few hours on our own. Dan, Ryan, Autumn, Chris...our room is the top floor (I think) if you knock and we're not there, assume we went out for a stroll and will be back soon. Or you can reach me on my cell phone by calling or send an email to 8607291894@mobile.att.net. I can get texts for free while I'm down here...one last thing...WOW it's like Florida down here without the humidity.

Bitter Briar said... @ 2:41 PM

Hello everyone. I miss you already. Thought you might be happy to know that it's freezing here, I hope you're all enjoying your gorgeous, warm, super fun vacation! The swings looked quite exciting, I must say I was a little jealous.

Pete said... @ 3:26 PM

matt. i tried to send an email to that address you gave and it bounced back to me. dumb. eat tons of steak today. mmmmm....

Dad/Ma said... @ 3:59 PM

glad you're enjoying some warm weather...

Katie said... @ 4:35 PM

So I was reading a story on the news, about a man in France who was riding the train. He dropped his cell phone in the toilet and reached in to find it. Being one of those high-suction toilet thingys, it sucked him in and his arm was stuck in the train's toilet. They had to stop the train system for 2 hours while rescuers freed him. But they freed the toilet, and took the man away with the toilet still attached to his arm! I guess they had to saw the toilet in half to get him out! Too funny!

Moral of the story: if you drop anything in the toilet on the train this weekend - let it go. =)

And if anything like this happens, take pictures... =)

Planet DeMaw said... @ 1:35 PM

Hey, I just noticed that you have videos on this posting. Didn't see the little arrows the other day. I like those very much. They includes sounds. Now if only you could capture the smells of the fooood.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Archive

Hit Counter...

free counter

Followers