Argentina Trip 2008

Ryan, Mike, Dan, Matt, Vicki, Chris, Autumn...

Will the Real [insert name] Please Stand Up...

Published by daniel keel the magnificent travelling gnome! at 4:36 PM
First of all, sorry to disappoint but this is not The Traveling Gnome, it's an imposter...actually it's just me Matt. Ryan is dead to the world sleeping so couldn't add me as an author...Dan obliged with his account.

After drowning my electronics theft with lots of chorizo and carne last night at a parrilla I solved my camera charger situation...today we tracked down a Nikon store (actually found several since the first one didn't have my charger; who knew whole Nikon stores actually existed) and shelled out US$60 for a new charger. I am happy.

I've also started an online photo gallery of our trip which I hopefully will be able to update each evening. You can visit it at http://gallery.me.com/mattpan. And regardless of what Dan says this is not an attempt to undermine his blog but rather I think of it as a complement...what Dan (or others) can say in words I hope to capture with photos for your viewing pleasure.

Today's adventures included a visit to La Recoleta Cemetary in the Recoleta neighborhood of BA. With it's ornate (understatement) graves it definitely was an amazing sight. Full of various architectural styles spanning Argentine history, the necropolis is called by my guide book a "city within a city." We visited the family moseleum of Eva Perón (Evita...of "don't cry for me Argentina" fame), but there were hundreds if not thousands of much more ornate tombs. We even encountered an actual funeral taking place...quite reminescent of all the demonstrative Portuguese funerals I've had to pleasure to attend with my wife.





Our lunch was also a highlight. Liters of beers, wine, jamón, squash and corn stew, wood oven pizzas, the omnipresent (but especially delicious) empenadas, and an helpfull waitress made for a great time.



Rested, we are now planning to go explore the Palermo neighborhood, eat some more, and watch some tango. Until later...

4 comments:

Anonymous said... @ 6:50 PM

Matt I just want to say I am really happy you got a charger for your camera. Wow, you took a lot of awesome photos so far. I may be requesting a few to frame. Tell Vicki that is such a cute jacket...Looks like you are having an great time so far and continue to update your pictures...

Jacks said... @ 6:54 PM

Looks like Cherie got to usurp the ambient princes first comment throne. (Sorry ambient prince). I come to this comment session baring a funny story however.
So here I was, being lazy as ever watching tv on a day I decided I would take off from work. Not showered, (everyone altogether now, "ewww") still in my PJs I hear a knock upon my door.
"Hmmm," I think to myself. "How odd. I wonder who it is."
So you can imagine my surprise when I open the door and hear a loud chourus of voices say, "TRICK OR TREEEEAT!"
Ooooops! It's Halloween and I've left my light on and my TV blaring. Embarrassed beyond recognizing I said, "Oh I'm so sorry, I don't celebrate Halloween!"
The kids stared at me uncomprehending and the very large father just said, "Alright, come on kids." I shut my door annnd all my lights off immediately.
So now here I sit, in the dark, wondering where I can go to avoid the whole mess of a holiday.
What am I saying? Guys (girls), be VERY happy you are in Argentina and did not blunder as I just did. (Go ahead all, laugh.)
Anyway, I'm off to check out Matt's photo's and then... sit in the dark with a flashlight reading, haha. Hope all enjoyed my lil' story!

Planet DeMaw said... @ 3:13 PM

Jamon:

The fresh hams are trimmed and cleaned, then stacked and covered with salt for about two weeks in order to draw off excess moisture and preserve the meat from spoiling. The salt is then washed off and the hams are hung to dry for about six months. Finally, the hams are hung in a cool, dry place for six to eighteen months, depending on the climate, as well as the size and type of ham being cured. The drying sheds (secaderos) are usually built at higher elevations, which is why the ham is called mountain ham.

Ryan said... @ 4:17 PM

We saw about 3 people with costumes so Halloween does not seem like a big deal down here. Atleast this year.
If you lived here that wouldn't have happened.
Bummer...

Post a Comment

 

Blog Archive

Hit Counter...

free counter

Followers